Over twenty years of experience in the heritage and planning sector. We have a strong track record in delivering expert heritage consultancy for our clients.
Heritage Planning Advice
Locus is a development-led heritage consultancy with a proven track record in delivering commercial and homeowner projects . With an interdisciplinary skillset in planning with archaeology, historic buildings, rural landscapes, townscapes and parks & gardens, we take robust evidence-led approaches to achieving sustainable change. From concept to completion, expert advice and experienced advocacy is on hand throughout the design and planning processes, helping our clients secure viable development outcomes.
– Heritage Scoping, Constraints & Risk Assessment
– Design Appraisal
– Planning Advice & Strategy
– Specialist Surveys
– Heritage Impact Assessments
– Statements of Significance
– Archaeological Desk Based Assessments
– Building Appraisal and Analysis
– Applications for Planning Permission, Listed Building Consent and Scheduled Monument Consent
– Archival and Historical Research
– Heritage Chapters of Environmental Statements
– Justification Statements
– Negotiation and Mediation
– Expert Representation at Appeal
– Written Schemes of Investigation
– Discharge of Conditions
– Design, Procurement and Management of Fieldwork
We champion heritage-led regeneration and recognise the potential value that heritage brings to social, environmental and economic agendas. We excel in heritage strategy, better integrating the historic environment into place-shaping approaches. Attentive to the individual needs of our clients and their local areas, we develop bespoke evidence-bases and planning instruments for the improved management of heritage assets. Our methods are robust and collaborative, identifying issues and opportunities through engaging partners, stakeholders and the public from the outset.
– Heritage Strategy
– Conservation Area Appraisal & Management Plans
– World Heritage Site Management Plans
– Topic & Area-Based Technical Guidance
– Historic Area Appraisals
– Research & Evidence-Base Development
– Funding & Grant Advice
– Heritage Management Audits
Our work was shortlisted for the National RTPI Awards for Excellence in Planning for Heritage in 2020 after winning the award in 2016 for the Nottingham Heritage Strategy.
We are passionate about heritage in the community. Our projects have helped local groups and not-for-profit organisations support and champion local heritage initiatives. Every place offers something different, so we develop bespoke hands-on approaches that embrace local values. A key part of our work is building understanding, skills and capacity within communities, ensuring local people remain at the heart of managing the historic environment.
– Community-led Initiatives
– Neighbourhood Planning
– Skills and Capacity Building
– Project Management
– Funding Applications
– Skills Workshops
– Research & Recording
We have established working relationships with key partners across the UK and are well placed to advise on funding applications.
training & Capacity
Locus works with private, public and third sector organisations throughout the UK to increase skills, understanding and capacity in prevailing heritage management practices. From national 70 event programmes to bespoke targeted CPD sessions, we create and deliver high-quality engaging content that achieve meaningful learning outcomes. Our audiences range from entry level trainees to seasoned career professionals from both heritage and non-heritage backgrounds, alongside motivated community groups.
– Continuing Professional Development
– Event Management
– Vocational Advice & Training
– Higher & Further Education
– Specialist Courses & Events
– Online Training